Tuesday 26 June 2012

Soft Kitty. Fluffy Kitty. Sparkly Kitty - A lesson in anger management

Anyone who has ever taken Anti-Depressants will understand what I mean when I say they make you numb to a lot of emotions. Dont get me wrong you still experience emotions, but after a long time it becomes normal to experience less. 

Coming off the meds was a huge thing for me and one of the toughest things I have ever tried to do, it took a long time to drop the dosage down until i could finally not take them anymore. My husband dreaded every drop in dose, as I would go through a month "cycle", consisting of a week of me being a total mentalist, emotions all over the show, getting upset at stupid thingsand being angry over nothing. Then about two weeks of me being remorseful for my behaviour, followed by the Fourth week where I would finally mellow out. Needless to say it was an uphill struggle but I made it there in the end with his support. 

Unfortunatley now that I am off the meds I am experiencing all my emotions full whack, which was expected, but what was not expected was discovering that I have NO idea how to deal with being angry. Everytime I got angry I threw the biggest wobbler I could, I shout, I throw things, I make absolutley ridiculous statements and the whole time it's like i'm actually stood next to myself saying "what the feck are you doing?!". 

I quickly realised that if I didn't get my anger issues in check pretty quick I was going to do or say something I regretted. One of my friends said the phrase "Soft kitty, Fluffy Kitty, Sparkly Kitty." to me once, and for some unknown reason in a moment of pure anger it popped into my head, and actually calmed me down....sounds crazy, and maybe it is, but it works for me :) 

Enjoy this picture of a ladybird. He looks happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment